Sunday, December 13, 2009

Procrastinating with a blog

I really need to do some dishes but want to put it off so here is a funny/sad story from when we got the kids their first H1N1 shots.

It was a Saturday at the health department and fortunately I had called two of my friends who had gone earlier than me and found out that the line was all the way out of the building and it was a couple hours worth of wait. (They were still there when I got there). Jeff was helping paint a woman's living room but I pulled rank and told him that I needed him. I don't think he understood why until we pulled into the parking lot and saw all the people. The kids thought it was great fun because the line of parents made a big oval space in the parking lot where the kids could play and their friends were there. 2 hours and 45minutes later it was time for the kids to get their shots and Jacob saw the nurse preparing the injections which he was a little interested in. I had Hannah go first and told her to blow out when she got the shot (it is supposed to help keep their mind busy and not think as much about the pain- I think it is probably more effective for older kids) She was a little scared because she knew what was going on and instead of blowing she made a little barking sound. I burst out laughing and then she started laughing too. It wasn't until I handed her off to Jeff that she started to cry a little. Jacob didn't notice that part and was ready for his turn at fun. He turns to me and lifts up his arms saying: My turn! My turn! I put him on the table and start to hold him down and he is just smiling and giggling. I felt so guilty knowing that he had completely misread the situation. Smiles and giggles until he feels the sting of the shot and he makes a big O with his mouth and says this really drawn out OWWWWW.

For future reference little guy: if you are being held down, it can't be good.

2 comments:

Mikelene said...

I meant to comment on this post a few days ago, because it made me laugh out loud. Literally. And it still does! (Not that I'm laughing at the expense of your kids' pain, mind you.) Your "future reference" part to Jacob (at the end)---AWESOME.

Morgan said...

Apparently they are quick learners because the second shots I thought I was wrestling some gators.